Head Teacher's Welcome
Welcome to Thurstonland (VC) First School. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website. We are all very proud of our small, welcoming and friendly school. The staff, parents, governors, pupils and the community work together to achieve the very best for all the children and their families.
One of the strengths of our school is that all children are known personally, their needs can be met individually and we ensure that every child can meet their potential in a caring, and supportive environment.
We have high expectations and standards of attendance, achievement, behaviour and involvement in school life. Our staff work hard to deliver a curriculum which meets the needs and interests of all our children.
Thurstonland First School is part of the Shelley Pyramid of schools. Children generally move on to Kirkburton Middle School at the end of Year 5 (age 10) and then on to Shelley College. There are strong links with all schools in the pyramid.
The school is also part of a Federation with two other local schools, Denby CE First School and Farnley Tyas CE First School, known as the Green Hills First Federation. This means that the three schools have the same Headteacher and Governing body but still maintain their individuality and independence.
If you would like to see us in action please do call and make an appointment. You would be made very welcome.
Thurstonland First School recognises that each child is an individual; that all children are creative; that all children need to succeed. Therefore we respect the individual needs of children; foster a caring and creative environment; and emphasise the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of each child.
We ensure children, staff, parents and governors work together to actively promote and develop our shared ethos of high quality learning in a happy, safe and caring environment.
- To work together as a team
- To provide a creative and balanced curriculum
- To promote independence, curiosity and enthusiasm
- To recognise the individuality of each child
- To stimulate learning through high quality teaching and challenging experiences
- That all our children will leave school with high standards in all areas of learning
- That they will have an enquiring mind and a desire for knowledge
- They will have strong self-esteem and high personal expectations
- That they will show tolerance and respect for others